One Tree at a Time
We are excited to have joined in with the fantastic team at “One Tree at a Time” who provide a model for businesses in the ski industry to change the way they operate.
The One Tree team have created a pledge system which is designed for ski businesses that want to scrutinise their environmental impact and identify the next steps towards becoming an environmental champion.
The pledge system is based around 5 principles;
Measure & disclose, Reduction, Education, Sustainability and Offsetting.
At Ski Physio and Massage we spend a lot of time helping people who are injured or in pain, helping them back to being fit and functioning. We want the planet to stay fit and functioning as well! We want to keep helping people, of course, by doing our job but we realise by doing this we are increasing our carbon footprint. We, therefore, are taking this pledge to look at all aspects of our business and make as many changes as we can. We can’t promise to be perfect but where we can’t make a significant change we will offset our impact by planting trees.
In summary: We plan to Plant 5 trees for every mobile massage booking done and reduce our carbon footprint
The plan, to start with is
- To look at all our purchases for the business and talk to all our suppliers about reducing plastic, using only recyclable plastic where plastic can not be avoided.
- To use FSC paper for all promotional material (‘FSC’ stands for Forest Stewardship Council, an organisation that works to promote the practice of sustainable forestry worldwide).
- To change our search engine to Ecosia to help plant trees.
- To change our cleaning and laundry products to bio versions.
- All members of the team to use the bus, or walk more (we can’t promise this will be all the time).
- We will plant trees to offset where we have to use cars. This will be done by paying to plant 5 trees per mobile massage booking this season.
We will concentrate on the first pledges and then aim to get better, we have lots of ideas! Little steps so far, but we hope lots of little steps will result in a big leap!
Our Pledge - The Details
1. Measure & Disclose
- We pledge to measure office water usage
- We pledge to measure vehicle mileage
- We pledge to measure office waste
- We pledge to disclose all the above measurements
- We pledge to promote and use the lowest carbon travel to/from the office
- We pledge to use 100% LED light-bulbs
- We pledge to install motion sensor lighting in the office
- We pledge to ensure all new appliances are A++ energy rated
- We pledge to implement a heating strategy that reflects use and does not overheat the office
We pledge to the following waste saving actions/li>
- Working towards being the first One Tree office pledge taker to eliminate all single-use plastic
- Diverting recyclable waste from waste steam
- Asking your suppliers to remove packaging from their products
- Using products and suppliers that are commited to reducing waste
- Providing recycling bins in our office
- We pledge to add an environmental section to our staff training
- We pledge to display the One Tree pledge on our website
- We pledge to raise the profile of our environmental progress through blogs, emails or social media
- We pledge to collaborate with One Tree and use the logo on promotional material
- We pledge to promote our involvement through our early season presentations to tour operator teams
- We pledge to get involved with the “Fix It” days in resort
- We pledge to stock products that have good environmental credentials
- We pledge to remove cleaning products that contain large amounts of chemicals from the office
- We pledge to use FSC paper for all printing
- We pledge to plant 5 trees for every mobile massage booking this winter
- We pledge to propose to our clients that they help offset our work related travel
See the One Tree at a Time website